Parents are demanding an urgent re-brand at a high school in Canada that bears the name of the Duke of York.

The principal of Prince Andrew High School in Dartmouth has said he is facing calls to change its name over the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal and Epstein’s friendship with the duke, who stepped back from public duties earlier this month.

In an interview with CTV News, Brad McGowan explained: “There are people who believe that the name no longer reflects the values of the community. They are angry.”

Prince Andrew has spoken out about allegations against him. Pic: BBC Newsnight
Prince Andrew on Epstein: I let the side down

Andrew has been keeping a low profile since a widely-criticised TV interview about his friendship with billionaire convicted sex offender Epstein, although he did emerge for a pre-Christmas lunch with his family on Wednesday.

The duke was pictured turning up for the traditional meal at Buckingham Palace, having driven there himself.

Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank
Image: Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank leave Buckingham Palace after the lunch
Princess Beatrice
Image: Princess Beatrice is pictured leaving the palace

It was a rare public sighting of the 59-year-old, who announced he would be stepping back from his duties because his association with Epstein had become a “major disruption to my family’s work”.

He said at the time: “I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein.”

More from Prince Andrew

Mr McGowan has said no firm decision will be made on the name of Prince Andrew High School just yet, having stood since it opened back in 1960.

He added: “There are people who feel very strongly that the name of the school has stood for nearly 60 years and represents something important to the community.”

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who as accused Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting her at Jeffrey Epstein's house, speaks out
Virginia Roberts Giuffre hits out at duke

Andrew has said he “deeply sympathises” with the victims of the Epstein, who was found dead in his New York prison cell as he awaited trial earlier this year.

The duke has also said he is “willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required”, amid calls for him to speak to US authorities who are investigating the disgraced financier.

Among them are Virginia Roberts Giuffre who has repeatedly said she was trafficked by Epstein and pressured into having sex with Andrew in 2001 when she was 17.

The duke has denied all claims made by the 36-year-old American woman.

Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services' sex offender registry
Image: Jeffrey Epstein was found dead in his prison cell

As well as Andrew, other guests at the Buckingham Palace lunch on Wednesday included his daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, were also there as were the Prince of Wales, the Princess Royal and several other members of the family.

The Duke of Cambridge, Prince George and the Duchess of Cambridge
Image: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George were also at the meal

But there was no sign of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, with Harry and Meghan on an extended break.

There are rumours that they will be spending Christmas abroad with the duchess’ mother Doria Ragland.